Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What's New....!


I don't often write in this blog. I reserve it for displaying my work.
I had the outstanding privilege to meet an incredible artist a few months back, Kent Lovelace. Aside from being giddy like a tweenie at a Justine Beiber concert, I was able to pull it together and hold an adult conversation.
It was exciting, enlightening and informative.

I LOVE Oil Paints. Most of my pieces have been oil on canvas, or oil on gessoed panel. Truth be told, I get burned out on canvas (Save for my "Signature Style") , especially when I'm trying to create a traditional piece.
a LONG time ago, in my yester-life, I created a very cool piece on a styrofoam ceiling tile using oil paints. I LOVED the feel, which coincidentally, is important for my creative process. FEELING the work. Disappearing from this existence. Engaging FLOW. Needless to say- I accidentally created a killer piece on an unstable surface.
.. long story longer...
I shared this with Kent, he suggested a solution.
"Use lacquer. "
I had a Scooby Doo moment.

Since my return to the studio post-Lovelace, I've done JUST that, coat with lacquer.
I've been lacquering canvases and panels. The result? Different. Good. FABULOUS!

The canvas doesn't soak up the luster of oil paint. It's more agreeable! Major Improvement.
The lacquered panel is genius!
It provided a protected surface, while allowing the warmth of the wood to act as the underpainting! It adds dimension, texture and color.
I've created several pieces to which I am MOST excited about.
I am able to to create beautiful images.
I'm most excited about water and atmosphere!

My skies have never been so realistic.
My water scenes literally flow.
These recent works are really enjoyable to produce!

In fact- a new piece

"Formidable"
Oil on Panel
12" x 12"

has been accepted into CVG 2012 Annual Washington State Juried Art Competition
Juror: Kathleen Moles; Curator of Museum of Northwest Art


My recent turn of artistic events have been exciting!

During the Kent Lovelace Studio visit, I discovered that he was published in an art book I had purchased from Blick Art Supply in Seattle, probably a year ago...
The days following my return home, I FINALLY opened and started reading "Landscape Painting" Essential Concepts and Techniques for Plein Air and Studio Practice by Mitchell Albala.
What a difference a little know-how will make.

My Special Thanks to Kent Lovelace of Whidbey Island
and Mitch Albala to which I am scheduled to take a Plein Air class from this summer!

Great Things!!!

No comments: